Friday, January 14, 2011

Social Hour and Nutritional Condemnation


Today is the third snow day we've had in a row. I can't say I haven't enjoyed them, but I'm looking forward to school starting, for the sake of establishing my schedule and work routine. Oh and money. Yea, that would be nice. I have a tendency to spend money as quickly as it comes in, which doesn't bode well for hard times. Generally, however, these days have been filled with socializing and the mixing of various groups of people. Normally, that wouldn't work, but it has been quite enjoyable as we are all cooped up inside. A few of us ventured to The Brickstore Pub the other night, and the rest of the time was actually spent in our apartment, which has become the place to be lately. I like it, other people's presence here makes me feel productive, and it's nice to feel surrounded by friends who want to be around you. It bodes well for the summer when people flock to enjoy the large, accomadating pool by the Tower. Last night was...pro-active.
So I was referred to a nutritionist by my doctor, and today was my first visit. I kind of expected the criticism that was sure to occur, so I was not really surprised that the whole veganism thing didn't go over too well. I really went mainly out of curiosity, and when asked what I was willing to do/change about my diet, I told her straight up I was willing to listen to what she had to say, and we'd see from there. Touche, mon petite tĂȘte de chou. She spoke, I listened. I feel like I've heard it all before. More protein, more fat. Read "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell, and then we can continue this conversation. Most amusing, however, was that she managed a little stab at my coat. "Is that real?" (you little vegan, you.) "Nope, but it looks it doesn't it." (Thanks for testing my integrity.) There was also a matronly remark about my drinking habits. Strategic lie-by-omission there. One glass of wine my ass. Basically it was a polite clash of ideals and basic beliefs, two people who clearly thought they were both right, and are probably content to remain in disagreement. My conclusion remains that it was a relativly pointless visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment